Saturday 21 January 2012

Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover...














...well, maybe just a little.  

I thought it was time I did a blog post on a great idea Penguin Books came up with - selling classic novels with blank covers.  The official tag line is: "Books by the Greats, Covers by You".   The blank covers are 'art-quality' paper which hold ink, paint and pencil amongst others.  They also come shrink-wrapped so the paper is nice and clean on arrival. The price isn't bad either for £5 (GBP) with free p&p in the UK, but they do ship worldwide (Here's the link to the online store) 

I really do love giving presents with a personal touch, something that says 'I actually thought about this'.  I was looking for a little gift for my friend 'J' and eventually settled on "The Waves" by Virginia Woolf.  I didn't have much time but managed to rustle up a quick cover using letraset promarkers and ink (you can have a gander at the result below).   

There's also an online gallery on the Penguin website, where people can display pictures of their gallant efforts.  Some of them are truly amazing, but I think my personal favourite has to be the one below for Bram Stoker's "Dracula".  The cover was created by: Stuart and Pania Fleming.  Simple and brilliant.  I especially love that 2 people are credited for it!  A splatter each perhaps?
'The Waves', Virginia Woolf                                   'Dracula', Bram Stoker






















No comments: